Tuesday, May 12, 2009

jars and jars and more jars of jam


Shawn told me I'm going to turn into strawberry jam. Oh well, at least I'll still be sweet.
After tweaking and testing the mix, I think I've decided it is perfect. Here it is in case you'd like to make your own jars upon jars of sweet strawberry jam.

2 cups of strawberries
1/4 cup of sugar
4 tsp. powdered fruit pectin (I use the low/no sugar kind)

Mash berries in a 2 quart batter bowl (I like it nice and chunky but you can mash it more if you like). Stir in sugar and pectin and cover with a piece of wax paper. Microwave on high power for 4 minutes then on medium power for 4 minutes (watch it in case it starts to boil over). That's it -easy!
Pour into glass jars and try not to burn your tongue when you taste it (because you will want to taste it right away!)
This jam will keep in the freezer for several months or in the fridge for about a day. It's that good.

6 comments:

  1. I love homemade strawberry jam! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect timing! i was just trying to google a low sugar strawberry freezer jam recipe yesterday. even though we won't be picking berries here for more than a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend and I made jam together on Monday. It was fun, but a little crazy with seven kids running around. I did not use low sugar. Does it still taste pretty sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very sweet and smooth and so fresh tasting. I do try to use very ripe berries and the recipe is so easy to play with if it doesn't taste sweet enough for you when it's done, simply add a little sugar and reheat it for a few minutes.

    This months Real Simple magazine has a recipe for Raspberry Oatmeal Bars that I might try to make a strawberry version of. Yes, I am going to turn into strawberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could also try Pioneer Woman's Apricot Bars with strawberry jam. Especially if your stuff is lower in sugar. I prefer to make them with reduced sugar jam because the crumbly part is very sweet.

    Unless you are going for something healthy. I don't think her bars are healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails